Monday, January 2
I seem to have quite a strong fetish for war movies. Whenever I'm flipping through the channels and see a snippet of green, mud, dirt, camouflage and artillery between the usual of television these days - boobs, Hilary Duff, and men with no balls - I immediately stop in my tracks. Today at 3:30 the almighty AMC aired Uncommon Valor, and I put aside all my homework and appetite and everything fucking else to lie down and watch this movie. The cast included Gene Hackman, the guy with the awesome voice from Unsolved Mysteries (Robert Stack), a big burly man with curly hair [but with a warm heart], a middle-aged white man with a long horse-shaped face and white hair who hadn't taken off his aviators in six years, and of course, no war movie is complete without a black man with a piece of cloth tied around his head.

Have you noticed that practically every war movie has one black man wearing a piece of cloth tied around his head? And in some cases wearing a daishiki and always yielding an AK47? I remember in Apocalypse Now when I think it was Laurence Fishburne who wore a headband and yielding a rather large firearm, on a boat with Martin Sheen and a few other guys, and on that boat, the words "Canned Heat" were sprayed on it. I'm going to fucking name my dog that someday, if I ever do get a dog.

Unfortunately, this category applies pretty much to only Vietnam War movies.

Laurence Fishburne, Apocalypse Now

Reggie Johnson, Platoon

Eddie Griffin, The Walking Dead

Close enough.

I fucking swore this was Gene Hackman the second I saw it.


Christina N. @ 5:55 PM